Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Google's Chrome got the feather touch!

Google Chrome (the Google's windows killer) is in! It’s supposed to be the next big thing to (re)trigger the browser wars. 

I guess I’m one of the first to try – its launch was Sep 02 PST, so here's the first cut review! 

Chrome, to start with, seems very, very light and very fast (much faster than FireFox, and IE of course). It loads faster into the memory too (seems to use less page files). Interface is neat, and you have a lot of screen space to read – almost like full screen browsing. And it's got tabs.

That were the positives. I haven’t gotten any errors or problems per se, but advanced features seem lacking. For example, if I want to run an Amazon or IMDB search, I guess I need to first go to their site to do it instead of running the search from the browser… we’ll hopefully have updated versions.

I guess I will use Chrome for some days to come! It's certainly lighter on my laptop that's starting to grow beard!

9 Comments:

At Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:49:00 AM, Blogger Ramkumar said...

It creates separate process for each tabs meaning. So if a tab is about to crash, only that tab crashes and other tabs stays intact. If browser is not responding you could invoke a manager similar to windows task manager to find who the culprit is and then stop it.
How cool is that?

 
At Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm yes, I noted that today... a tab got freezed and was reported to be killed. Quite cool. Haven't explored all the features yet!

 
At Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah da. It looks simple and cool.
Did u try MS outlook webaccess?
I don't think it is supported fully.

 
At Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Kanagu: Yes I did! It does show the contents etc, but something is missing - yes, it doesn't look like its supported fully. But its a long way from Firefox that did not provide any support at all. I hope future versions manage it well!

 
At Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Ashwin said...

u cant scroll up using the type pad

 
At Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Ash: As in? I'm able to scroll up/down using the arrow keys and the pg up/down buttons. You referring to something else? May be a config problem in your browser... do check up. Scroll lock or something...

 
At Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that Microsoft has got the patent for Pg up/Down. Prob thats blocking thsi..:-)
For some reasons chrome is hanging(not continuously) in my office system. I normally open gmail, and other two nes istes and it hangs when I try to switch between tabs. It would take about 30 secs to resume and it occured quite often.

 
At Friday, September 12, 2008 7:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Kanagu: Sounds impossible.. almost all existing browsers provide pg up/down feature. And I guess even the very first browser - Mosaic - did. I cant use Chrome in office simply coz my company doesn't support it. Microsoft's dominance is a little fueled by corporate inertia too, in some cases!

 
At Friday, July 18, 2014 6:52:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey there, I found your blog very informative and helpful. I've read almost all your blog posts and would really love to read more of it. I request you to please start your blog once again. I suggest you also syndicate your blog on popular sites like ManagementParadise.com where you will find millions of like minded people as a ready audience. Keep Blogging. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home