Thursday, June 16, 2005

Faith in luck restored

Grades are something I've never really discussed in my blogs, probably because I think it's just an inevitable and sultry addition to the campus life. But the news I received on the first day of the second year was funny, if nothing else. Term 1 started as a disaster. I scored 2.75 out of 4.33. Not that it was real bad, but the fact that I was not even in the top 30 or 40%, let alone other frontrunners, wasn't like me. I crossed 3.oo only in one subject, which incidentally was the only subject I liked in the term - microeconomics.

Term II was surprising. I put in the same effort and still managed to score 2.95. I thought I didn't deserve bad scores in a couple of subjects, but unexpected good scores in a couple of other subjects 'even'ed my mind out. I was glad, nonetheless, that I crossed 3.00 in two subjects I really loved - Macroeconomics and Operations mgmt.

Luck had its way in term III. I scored a surprising overall of 3.13, with the first and only 'A' in the whole year in Marketing management II. I really couldn't believe the news, simply because I wasn't expecting it, but who's complaining. :) Faith in luck restored!

The overall isn't anything to flaunt about, but I'm satisfied coz ROI seems to be pretty decent. And I didn't lose my 'integrity' (for whatever it is worth!) in a single test. And I crossed 3.00 in all the variants in all terms of the subjects that 'mattered' to me - economics and operations.

On the lighter side, I've never been able to convince some of my friends that there is nothing weird in lights blinking when one crosses them. But the link tries to provide some scientific explanations. Miranda tries to hook onto Batman as a part of its marketing. Wonder if any drink took to such a thing when Star Wars hit theatres?

Surf's famous save-water-campaign bags an award. The ad worked magic in TN. I read somewhere that it resulted in a 20% sales increase. The first time I saw the ad, I realized it'll strike some chord, but the only thing amiss was Shabaana Azmi endorsing the brand all over India. I thought it'd've been better to have someone local to endorse. Kind of what Pepsi does - Saif Ali Khan among Hindi speaking states and Surya down south. The whole point of stars endorsing brands is to relate to the audience, which is impossible if the local populace doesn't recognize the face of the 'star'.

Edit I: I remembered seeing Azmi in the TN ad, but thanks to the information from Arun , looks like there has been a change. Revathi seems to be endorsing it instead of Azmi.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, June 16, 2005 11:38:00 AM, Blogger BeehaG said...

Revathi endorsed that product in TN.

 
At Thursday, June 16, 2005 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

Well, I still remember seeing Azmi... will edit the post.

 
At Thursday, June 16, 2005 2:15:00 PM, Blogger Jammy said...

u've scored in all the subjects where I didn't score :))
Enjoy the second year. It wuld b the best year of your life

 
At Thursday, June 16, 2005 2:21:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Ram: hehe. Thats why Im choosing marketing and u went for finance. :)

And yes, there are signs of chillness ... already.

 
At Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

machan.. already spilling your marketing gyan here? :P
seriously, congrats on becoming 3 pointer :)

 
At Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:10:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@chandoo: Just thought I'd start posting some interesting linkks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home