Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The-next-IIM story, yet again

I drew a lot of flak when I opined that Shillong is not exactly the best place for setting up an IIM. But here's another (quite confusing) news clip.

A TOI article says the next IIM is going to be in Pune (via Manish), which is one of the three cities I said was ideal for setting up an IIM - considering the location, accessibility and other benefits.

Anyway, what's not clear is whether the Pune IIM would be the eighth IIM or the seventh one instead of Shillong. The other thing that's not clear is why, unlike other premier B-schools the world over (Harvard, Wharton etc), the existing IIMs can't take in more people, which would negate the setting up of new IIMs itself. I'm sure there are reasons, but just what are they?

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:47:00 PM, Blogger God Krishna said...

I bet Pune is a heck of a place to be setting up the next IIM. But i guess its gonna be shillong... Pune must be the eigth IIM. I am not convinced by the concept of building new IIMs. I guess the solution could well be to improve the infrastructure(if needed) in the exisitng IIMs and increase the intake to say 500-700+ in each IIM ala Wharton and Kelloggs.

PS: Thanx a lot for ur words of encouragement on my blog... besides that, my name is Srikrishnan from pagalguy

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:47:00 PM, Blogger God Krishna said...

hey govar... i've put up my 2 cents on the next IIM.. please let me know what u think of it..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home