Thursday, March 23, 2006

Indian kids on the march?

I happened to come across an interesting incident.

In a kind of an offbeat tale, a 10 year school kid from India has wrote to the authors of the chart-topping and best-selling Freakonomics book correcting their - what he calls - mistake. (via DesiPundit) Here’s the letter.

Hello. I am Rohan Patel, I am 10 years old. Your book was amazing! I loved it, but I found one mistake in it. In the chapter “What Makes A Perfect Parent?” it says that changing schools does not have an impact on the child. This is untrue, as i moved from Canada to India.

In India the school system is much harder, when I came here I was way behind. I am emailing my friends and they are behind me, what they learn is very different from what I learn. So changing schools makes a huge impact on the child, I myself am an example of this.

What followed was an interesting debate (here, for one) if Indian school system is really superior to the one in Canada. Before we high-five all over, Yazadjal comes up with a possible explanation.

I found Freakonomics certainly interesting, but the stories about racism, school issues between white and black were Greek to me since I had no base about the whole thing. I guess it relates well to the US audience.

The boy sure isn’t a “normal” 10 year old Indian kid. I wish I knew how to write that well, e-mail and read books like Freakonomics when I was 10. A lot of questions would be answered if we know where the kid studied in Canada and where he's studying in India. I have a feeling he's probably undergoing a CBSE/ICSE course in one of the metros or cosmos.

But whatever it is, I think this is something for all Indians to smile over.

2 Comments:

At Friday, March 24, 2006 9:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Govar,
That's really great news....
Also need to appreciate the 10 year old boy...
Nice info...
Keep the blogs flowing.
Regards,
Girish

 
At Friday, March 24, 2006 9:55:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

"Keep the blogs flowing."

yes... am on holidays. So Im reading a lot and that auto means Ill post regularly too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home