Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Snapshots from the backyard

I don't even have a count of the number of times I've been to Mahabalipuram. And almost all the time I've been there, I basically went to the Shore Temple and thought that was just about the best thing Mahabalipuram had to offer.

I was proved utterly wrong last weekend, when I was forced to tour the entire place as a part of an official visit. This place rocks, and I think I got some nice snaps. We had a guide with us, and the stories from his mouth gave an all new life to the entire (wonderful) place.

One below is the Shore Temple (Built with granite 8th century).



The place below is called Descent of the Ganges. Built around 7th century, the most surprising thing is the traces of Egyptian design in the sculptures. Can't even begin to think how people exchanged ideas across continents some 1400 years back!


One below is Pancha Ratha. There are five huge pieces of monuments (each named after the Pandavas), and the interesting thing is the whole place was one massive rock which was cut into what is below.

The guide told us the one below was a Light-House some 10 centuries back - lit by a flame at the top.


Can't believe I didn't explore a UNESCO World Heritage site, one in the very backyard. Well, better late than never!

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:13:00 PM, Blogger Jam said...

Hey there Govar,

I m more than a little surprised that you haven't actually seen all the places in the pix before.

I personally have been to Mahabs more than once in my life and honestly don't remember coming back without having visited each and every one of these places, in every trip.

Cheers........Jam

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This palce has some thing or other intresting thing when ever I visit there. That too after reading the famous novel of Kalki's "Sivakamiyin Sabatham", it was a different and delightful feeling when I go there and see all these works. Kalki would've made you to visualize how Mahendra pallava and his son Narashimma pallavan would drempt to build these places. It is also unfortunate that the works srated were incomplete due the battle with Pulikesi. Otherwise no wonder it would've been one of the competiter for the new 7 wonders..:-)))

BTW, I don't think the whole place of Pancha Ratha is carved from one big stone. I know each object present over there (Rathas, elephant and other stuff) are carved from a single stone but not the whole place in one stone.

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Jam: Like I said, I guess it's better late than never! :)

@Kanagu: Great. Means that you are the right guy to be taken to this place when I go next. And, yes, surprisingly, I don't remember going here with you, but Karuna and I went at least thrice... mostly coz we didn't get tickets in Mayajaal!

 
At Sunday, August 05, 2007 4:38:00 AM, Blogger Jammy said...

I have visited Mahabs innumerable times since childhood, but still don't know most of the facts. Well, when you visit the place as part of school excursions, the only things in mind are the frisbee and beach wind :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home