Tuesday, December 21, 2004

CAT results out. Now what?

For those who didn't make it, well, there's always a next time. Trust me, there is no such thing as geniuses getting 98/99, and the second rung getting 96/97. Its mostly a matter of luck and sincerity in preparation. I'm stating this as a fact coz after being with 6 months with people who scored between 97.5+ to 99.8s, I'm quite convinced that preparation and luck matters a lot. Better luck next time!

Some myths and facts based on some questions I've been asked:

Myth: Sub 98, I wont get calls.
Reality: There are people in our batch with 97.5 whereabouts, although few and far between. Typically, if your resume is different, you stand a chance.

Myth: Sub 90 in one section, I wont get calls.
Reality: We have 2/3 who have 80 whereabouts in one section. But then, I havent spotted a guy with less than 90 percentile in VA.

Myth: I can't improve CAT scores.
Reality: I've seen people from 68/70 percentiles one year getting 99 percentiles next year, with sincere preparation. Trust me, they weren't prodigies.

Myth: Percentiles matter for converting GD/PIs to final calls.
Reality: It doesn't appear to be so. Percentile effects, if anything, would probably be minimum.

Myth: Order of interview calls reflect relative positions.
Reality: Order of interviews would depend on you CAT registration number. You might end up seeing the same people again and again.

Myth: Entry barriers for freshers would be high.
Reality: Everything depends on the relative application levels. IIMs try to make a balanced batch. But typically, its quite true that freshers need more percentiles for getting calls. I don't see a bias in GD/PI though.

Well, for all those who crossed the 98/99 percentile barrier, congrats. Get ready for the real rat race. Most importantly, brush up your current affairs etc, and read a lot of newspapers. If possible, join some of the coaching institutes to take training (IIMB guys would conduct a GD/PI course in Bangalore) or form some interest groups made of aspirants who got calls. Make sure that you aren't so close to those guys coz that would bring a personal touch, which would make it informal. If you are looking for more information, feel free to mail me (id in the right side panel) or Chandoo or Jam.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 21, 2004 1:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Govar!

Great post! I get nostalgic abt Feb-March 2004 when I saw ur post! (grin)

Dude please do a CTRL-C/CTRL-V to pagalguy.com. Many of broken souls need this tonic out there!! :-)

regards,
Praveen

 
At Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:07:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Hey Praveen, ok, will post it on PG if u think it'd be useful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home