Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The journey into the mighty

Somebody told me like a year ago that there are lots of advantages living in a city like Mumbai. Of course, he was mum about the disadvantages, which is a long story too, but I recently got to purchase to a beautiful book that I was searching for some time now and that was certainly something good about Mumbai. There are just thousands of all sorts of esoteric books.

I've always been an ardent fan of Mount Everest and people who climb it. Not that I am a big-time mountaineer or anything, but the fact that there is something so challenging and people tirelessly try to scale up despite all the odds gives me goose-bumps. I mean, how could you not respect that mountain and the people who climb it? Looking at the technical details, you HAVE to believe in a superpower, atleast for this one time. Mount Everest, at about 8,850m is a marvel. With oxygen levels at 33% of the normal above the dangerous 'Death Zone', it is a mighty challenge. What makes it special is: had it been 300m taller, nobody would be able to climb without supplemental oxygen. Had it been 300m shorter, it wouldn't have been something that evaded people till around 1950's when people finally surmounted it.

My love for mountains started, arguably, during my Engineering College days when I got a chance to go to Ooty and Kodaikanal for the chill weather. There was always something very fascinating about the mountains. It was first love when I went to Manali a couple of years back. And I simply had to go to the Led-Ladakh (Jammu & Kashmir) trip that still stays as one of my bestest-ever. Life on the mountains is so unbelievably good. The chill that passes through the bones, the ragged woolen clothes sticking ominously around the body, the fumes flying out of the tea-cup, the people who don't know how to stop their smiles, and the ice clad setting. A paradise alright!

Coming back to the point, I got lucky during one of my regular sorties to the Crossword bookstore. The book 'Making of the Imax movie called Everest' was for sale. At a discount at that. The story-cum-photography book was available for around $11 instead of the usual $24. $11 is not cheap by any stretch of imagination, but I figured this book could be my once chance of motivation to somehow sometime make it atleast to the Base Camp of Mount Everest. With prices hovering around Rs. 15 lacs to Rs. 25 lacs, climbing the mountain itself would be impossible, even if I were physically trained and prepared to take the onslaught. But with just about Rs. 50,000 or Rs. 75,000 and a 15-day break from routine, I could make it to Base Camp sometime. Doesn’t matter when. All I need is time and motivation, and this book could probably be my only chance. This book has to be within my eyesight for years to come I don't aspire to be a Reinhold Messner, the guy who climbed all the 8000 m plus tall mountains without oxygen, but Base Camp is one of my dreams all right. Thank you Mumbai.

8 Comments:

At Friday, June 16, 2006 6:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Govar,
Good Luck...
Wishing that you can make it to Base Camp sometime soon...
Nice blog...
Have a great weekend.
Regards,
Girish

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 7:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

howdy ho!!! govar anna....rem me???? there has been a long term postponement of my MBA plans as i have gotten admit to a decent univ in US for MS.. i feel that this will allow me to make up for my poor UG acads(74% but 4 backlogs)n gain international exposure apart from providing me with the right break to work for a blue chip company....thus, i am hoping to do an MBA with an enhanced and a more complete profile..... i need ur help reg taking up an oracle course....

I've decided to go in for an oracle certification course... since i am from chennai,i've tried 2 places, SQL Star n STG... SQL Star didnt suit my timings n STG pretty much suits my comfort(i am looking to finish the course n take up the exam by aug 1st week).. I was given 2 streams to choose from...

1.Oracle Developer ............ Rs. 18000/-
2.Oracle Database Administrator....Rs. 23000/-

Can you please tell me what does one exactly do in each module that is different from the other, which is better in terms of job opportunities.... are there any other places i can try???

The deal i got from STG is that i get books/course material given by Oracle n the certificate too is from Oracle Inc. I'd like to take up this course for 2 things..

1. I have an offer for pursuing MS in University of Minnesota Twin Cities.... though i have taken up electrical engg(EDA&CAD of VLSI) the university is also famous for its research in data-mining too.... quite a few companies around Minneapolis give opportunity for people to serve as interns in summers.. I am looking at this course n certi to help me (both in terms of rendering knowledge as well as some backing) while applying for RA in other depts(that req database management within the univ) as well as internships,as aid for electrical engineering seems minimal at the masters level...

2. I dont have a job... am basically looking at gaining sufficient knowledge that will help me while job hunting if at all something goes wrong in the Visa Interview....STG claim to be helping their students in finding jobs too n they say openings are more for the developers track of Oracle...

Added to this, i like computers and was quite good at it till i got into college and forgot what programming was all about.. contrary to most people, i dont find too many things wrong with technical side(maybe cos i am a fresher and the industry reality is yet to catch me) n even post MBA, i'd like to get into technical consulting....

So thats basically it... lots of confusion... help me out or correct me if i have mistaken anything...

A Confused Soul

The God...

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 7:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: if u know anything about the college i've opted or the course i've taken or datamining at UMN, plz lemme know about that too... take ur time and i know that u must be reallyyyyyyyyyyyy busy... thanx in advanceeee..

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 9:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PPS: Oracle Inc themselves have a facility in minneapolis...

 
At Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:30:00 AM, Blogger God Krishna said...

realllly sorry for spamming ur comment space but plzzzzz do reply by email to srikrishnan2002@gmail.com ..........

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Govar..How r ya doing?
With no access to net for a long time now, dint read ur blog much...but what with joining an office with free internet, u can count me to b a regular reader again :D
All the best for ur pursuit to the base camp!

 
At Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi,
another spammer at your blogspot!! :D thought this would be the easiest way to send you some links. The first one is something on privatisation. the guy's put everything I wanted to say in a near-perfect article. In fact he goes ahead and turns on its head, the idea that public-sector means inefficient. Considering the failure rate of private companies, its incredible that so many public-sector companies flourish in spite of their myraid social responsibilities and their inability to process black money!!
http://www.hindu.com/2006/06/22/stories/2006062203941000.htm
The other is an nterview with Arundhati Roy who I didn't particularly admire but holds similar views.
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/nic/arundhati.htm
Nirmal

 
At Friday, June 30, 2006 6:46:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Thanks for the comment folks. I'm just not getting enough personal time on the net to update the blog... hope i get the net connection soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home