Sunday, March 25, 2007

Uncle Sam’s backyard

I opened the map of USA a couple of weeks ago, closed my eyes and randomly touched my finger on the map. My finger tip pointed to Long Island.

And that’s where I went today.

Ok, I was kidding. Wish I have the luxury to say things like these! This is roughly how the Scottish doctor found himself in Uganda, in Idi Amin’s terrain. Go watch The Last King of Scotland if you haven’t.

Read on if you are ok reading about not-so-famous places.

After two weekends in NYC, and a busy week in office, I decided to drive down somewhere into the country side, and one of the few places that were in the drivable distance was the stretch jutting out of New York State into the Atlantic Ocean called Long Island. I decided to go to the tip of the Island, visiting famous places en route.

The risk about driving to a totally unknown far-off place is getting lost. I had taken printouts of the maps and had an overview of the major routes to take, but, to my utter surprise, a lot of roads mentioned in the map (Mapquest) were simply non-existent (I probably made a mistake here since I generally go for Google Maps). After several sorties in the middle of nowhere, I decided to go on my hunch and the compass in my watch (I hate asking directions – they just add to the multitude of confusion!). I did get back on track each time, but my total driving for today extended from 8 hours to 9.

Here are some pictures (as usual). To start with, the country side was awesome. So splendidly clean and romantic. Artistic buildings like these pop out of nowhere. And a LOT of these buildings and shops have an American flag waving outside.

And these are remote villages. Wonder what makes them so artsy - the architecture, or the ambience or the effort they put in. Perhaps all of these.

At the end of the drive, I arrive at Montauk Point. I first saw Montauk in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was much more romantic in the movie, but I guess I got the timing wrong - should’ve come here during winter.

Montauk Point Lighthouse, built in 1792, is the fourth oldest in the US.

Atlantic Ocean. A pillow of winds. (View from top of lighthouse)

A long lonesome highway, east of Long Island.

Eagle’s Nest estate castle built by marine biologist Vanderbilt. An amazing peaceful place with a backside entrance from the port.

The pleasure of getting lost is the drive, which takes you unwittingly through really beautiful port-side villages like these...

See ya next time!

10 Comments:

At Monday, March 26, 2007 3:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

misss you badly come back soon

 
At Monday, March 26, 2007 5:18:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

:) Only if you leave your name!

 
At Monday, March 26, 2007 7:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love has no name...

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:03:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

Ah! Now, that's news to me!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sudum nilavu sudadha sooriyan
odum nimisham uraiyumvarusham
yellam yellam yellam vendummaa
yellam yellam yellam vendummaa


Kaaadhalithu paar Kaaadhalithu paar
Kaaadhalithu paar Kaaadhalithu paar

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:05:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Sry buddy. Gotten ol' for this crap.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

got a crush on ya . did not know you will get so upset by the statement.....

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:55:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Games eh? Buddy, do u realize it doesn't take much to analyze the IP hits over the period and find (approx) who this is? :) I'm terribly lazy and that's your escape route.

 
At Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya..am back and am surprised to find someone taking over my job...and it sounds very much like the bespectacled rocker from madhraas!

 
At Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:33:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Hehe... someone taking over your job. FUll time job maari... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home