Friday, June 24, 2005

The thankless jobs

We had a guest lecture one of these days, and the IIT-IIM branded chief guest ended his lecture with a very poignant note: "There seems to be no connection between college grades and corporate success but integrity and trust are things that'd take you far in the corporate world, and you achieve that when you refuse to accept an unfair favor when you know for sure that there wouldn't be negative repercussions". Kind of like refusing to accept a bribe when you know there would be no implications. That note really caught a lot of attention. I'm starting with this note coz what I'm trying to say is close to this.

Many of "us" are suckers for publicity and fame. I would've said 'most of us', but I don’t want to pass judgments from void, and additionally, that really doesn’t matter. I myself am a terrible example. I *try* to be honest, but most of my activities are directed towards self development or self-gratification. I really haven’t done much in terms of public service, but I do have esoteric experiences – like I’ve taken few classes for blind children etc, apart from the forced public service I was made to do in school. The reason I couldn’t pursue any of those with vigor was because I didn’t and still don’t have a passion towards public service, and I couldn’t relate to them. This is exactly what makes me very guilty whenever I see someone working for the benefit of others. They kind of get a God-like reverence from me because I simply could not do such service. One such person whose posts have profoundly inspired, and made me feel guilty all the same, is Vikrum. As far as I remember, he was brought up in Brazil, but he’s learning more about India by traveling and doing public service. I don’t know much about him as a person, but he somehow manages to awe me.

Coming to the original point, many of the well-off and relatively better positioned friends of mine are very similar to me. Having had a good, subsidized education, we aspire for a job in some Multinational company, and all other material comforts peppered with. Although we have a lot of chances to get into NGOs or even journalism, which I would call a public service too, most of us aren’t planning to take it, simply because those opportunities don’t provide the softer comforts. I personally don’t have the passion into that kind of work, and although I admire those, I couldn’t convince myself to take up those - probably because those are thankless for the most part; probably because I have a tunnel vision; or probably because I’m a sucker for money and fame. Nevertheless, I do sincerely hope that I get the inspiration to get into a work that gives me some opportunity for service, may be later in life - could be NGO (but I doubt it), the education or the Government sector. But then, it all depends on the outcome of the mid-life crisis :) ... and I hope to take the road less traveled by.

12 Comments:

At Friday, June 24, 2005 7:47:00 PM, Blogger Jam said...

Hey Govar,

At least you are thinking about the less privileged lot of the society. Am not too sure that many of us can say even that with any sort of honesty.

The point is that all of us should make an attempt, if not anything, at least contribute monetarily to organisations like CRY and the like, which truly are in the process of making many lives better.

Cheers.........Jam

 
At Friday, June 24, 2005 8:34:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Contributions yes, I've did, but they are not sustainable. I really didn't feel like doing a service when I just donated money... but taking classes were a different thing. But yes, something is better than nothing.

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005 8:04:00 AM, Blogger vig said...

yep ... we all r suckers .... or if u want to substitute an f there.... neways...your blogs are good.

cheers

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

Hey Vignesh, thankks for dropping in.

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005 2:38:00 PM, Blogger rajagopalan said...

I believe that good thoughts nurture good actions. So you have taken the first step. So keep it going on... It will translate to something fruitful...

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005 3:43:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Hmm. Hopefully!

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005 6:26:00 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

Thought provoking post Govar.

Its a pity that we all get tangled in the vicious cycle of fame and fortune and never see the bigger picture.

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005 7:57:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Rahul: Thanks.
The question lies in 'what really is the bigger picture' as well. And I guess we have a different idea different points in time.

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

I like the candidness and honesty in your post. This is my take on it: You dont have to work fulltime for an NGO or for the under-privileged, as long as you take a little bit of time away from your regular life to help them out with all your sincerity, thats all that matters. No one can force these feelings onto themselves; for some people it comes naturally, for others a lit bit of exploration and a lot of thinking helps (I belong to the latter).

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

@Gemini: Hmm. A different line of thought... guess I have to spend more time.

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005 12:16:00 PM, Blogger Jammy said...

The problem lies in the fact that success is defined by the socitey as being financially well-placed and being famous (which are mostly inter-related). Everyone wants to be successful, and let me specify - successful in the eyes of the society. That makes us do things to become richer. Helping the public does not fall in place with these plans to become successful.
May be you can do something in your spare time. When u do, do remember to call me :)

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005 12:43:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Ram: I sure will. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home