Tuesday, July 26, 2005

And God made me so…

I’m sure one of these of these days some guy is going to ask me “Dude, just what do you know on earth?”

It’s awesome (err… is it awful?) to be around with a bunch of smart guys, particularly good quizzers. You move around with them and you’d inevitably end up feeling like shit one day or the other. Today was one of those days. There is cricket quiz scheduled tonight and all the dead cricketers of yore have come alive once again. No one probably discusses about them these days. That might include even their descendants, but that’s not the point. In the name of a quiz, people come into life again. I don’t know much about the topic, and I always feel like: What’s the point in discussing about dead people? Do you really have to speak about the 1930 Brazilian guy who missed the final penalty leading to his team losing? Maybe things would be different if I’m involved. Anyway, read the following.

Here are some of the questions that are a part of the discussions.

Q: Who’s the slowest test bowler from India?

My answer: God knows, but my guess is Venkatesh Prasad. And I’m positively sure.

Q: Who started the concept of overarm bowling? Why?

My answer: The bully next to my home. We used to play underarm and one fine day he said we are big enough to play overarm. And that’s when I think the whole world started it. On a more serious note, I was told that some famous guy’s sister who was wearing skirts was having problems with underarm since the skirt came in the way while bowling and hence invented overarm. Bizarre eh?

Ofcourse, I’ve played a LOT of cricket in my school-hood but I never bothered to retain and explore the details of the game because I played just for the sake of playing and no one ever bothered to tell me that I’ll later be facing a bunch of people ten years later who’d wake up dead people and discuss what happened to them in cricket before I was born. I pretty much left cricket after high school since I was shifted to a different place void of friends near home. Needless to speak what work does to one.

On comparison, I got to admit that the retention power of my brain is very, very weak. I can’t even remember my passwords; let alone what the guy with the mustache did with the ball in 1920 in London. But then, my memory particularly fails me when it comes to names, because I still have a good memory of a lot of capitals that I and a bunch of my friends mugged up in sixth grade for kick’s sake. I still remember it was awesome fun spelling out the capital of Morocco in a high school quiz when no one knew where that country was. Good old days they were.

By the way, the next question in line was: How many centuries did Gavaskar score in West Indies against West Indies?

Duh! I just need ONE wish from God…

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 8:41:00 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

Exactly my sentiments. Never was into cricket, really.

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:30:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Rahul: The sad thing as I said is I used to play a lot of cricket... but definitely not into quizzing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home