Friday, July 15, 2005

The (dis)pleasure of getting old

Make no mistake on that. It feels really bad to get old. It didn’t matter as long as I was in teens; even early 20s seemed fine. But slowly, as days pass by, I’m feeling a bit bad about facing peak adulthood.

With my 24th birthday in the horizon, things are looking bad. I mean; gone are the days when I was waiting to sport a beard and look like a man. I’ve grown long past that. Two years back, white hairs starting spouting out. It wasn’t a problem finding the one or two odd ones and cutting them short, but it is a problem to find so many.


You know you are getting old when:

  • Sad-looking guys keep coming home with the only motive to fix you up with someone. Worst is when they tell you “it’s time to get married”. It pretty much reads like “Doomsday is in. Not much time before you get down the drain.” The accompanying giggle sounds almost satanic.
  • Guys around you slowly stop wearing those funky T-shirts and start wearing the 1950s plains, checks and stripes.
  • You get mails from the classmates of yesteryears that they’ve gotten married and they’ve got kids and all’s well.
  • People start calling the beer-belly as ‘corporate lifestyle’ and a mark of businessman-ship, whatever that means.
  • Classmates starts saying “make the most use of these days”, as though there is no tomorrow.
  • People don’t look at you anymore as a geek who knows how to use a computer; everyone around you with two hands and two legs know that.
  • ‘Sir’s and ‘Uncle’s become common when people address you.

Unaware of all this, I’m sure my friends are going to wish me “long live for hundred years” when the midnight comes, but that’s really not what I want them to do. I don’t want that day to pass. I don’t want sympathetic faces from the youngsters who look at me like some lost charm of yesteryears.

I’ve starting to grow this feeling when those young cousins of mine started speaking about some mobile technology that I find only in the advertisements, and about some band called Mogwai that ‘rocks’ these days. How weird and odd sounding that is. If you are as confused as I am, may be its time for you too to consider the techniques to stay young.

Worst is when parents continuously speak about marriage when you go home to relax, an opportunity that you get once or twice in a year. Even if you manage to use all you learn in management to stop them by sounding like a really intelligent person who has certain ‘goals’, ‘missions’, ‘visions’ and ‘roadmaps’ in life, those old creepy guys continuously stream in with that astrological Greekish parchment that decides the fate of a lot of people and spoil all the fun. In the end, as always, parents have the way and all you could settle for is a 3 year delay. Three years. Just 1000 odd days between all the fun and marriage, kids, responsibility and associated stuff. It’s becoming impossible to pass a day without thinking about all this.

Oh God! Save me.

16 Comments:

At Friday, July 15, 2005 7:40:00 PM, Blogger Lumbergh-in-training said...

Yeah mon!!!
I am officially an uncle and that's how the neighbourood kids call me :'(
one more thing - people give you resumés and ask for jobs rather than the other way round :)
about the marriage thing, i guess you are much older than i am - a handful of my classmates are married and none have started producing children, atleast for now! :|
LiT

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 9:38:00 PM, Blogger Kaps said...

advance wishes....hope IIMI folks would give u the customary bumps.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 11:15:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Manoj: Good ones. Much older that I am. Now, don't make me feel sad once more. :(

@Kaps: Ofcourse. Not just customary, but full fledged.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Jam said...

Govar dood,

You sound just like Joey in those amazing episodes of FRIENDS where they all turn 30 and he looks up and screams "Why God why? Why me? I thought we had a deal!!!"

Ha, in any case, here's wishing you in advance dood. Have a happy b day and go ahead and do all the freaky things that you wanted to do when you were 23 yrs old.

Cheers.........Jam

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 11:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

could relate to most of the things u said...especially when u r a gal and are already 23, u r more older than a guy of the same age...ain't it?? :D

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Jam: Thanks machan

@Vijetha: hehe.. I know how it is. Put the blame on our society!

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 1:53:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

I know there are 'some' benifits, but most arer what we expect. In contrast, I KNOW for a fact that my days with solitude are goiing to be sure-shot fun. Quite naturally, Im inclined towards the latter. But then, yes, it has to happen someday.

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:00:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

@V: ok, now u've made it sound real bad. We arent THAT old, and we arent going miss LIFE that much. are we? :-P

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Jam said...

@Govar and Venky,

Am quite willing to write this down that you guys are surely going to miss this experience once you leave the hill. Considering that this probably is going to be the last hostel experience we are going to have, I suggest that we make the most of it.

Cheers.........Jam

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

Yo Jam! lets make the most this year!

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 11:09:00 AM, Blogger harry said...

hey dude,
its fine..u r 24.. get maried daa b4 u get too old and repent for the dealy ;)..j.k..
its okay i believe some ppl asked my parents this time wheteher they were looking for a match..thankfully my parents have said till 28 i can be free,well u never know how things turn out

anyways i will be glad enuf to fall in love now..:)

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Hari: Repent for the delay? I guess I wouldnt do that in a lifetime.
And LOL! All the best for your love life... :)

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:09:00 PM, Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

birthday wishes, and i am young, only 21, annal after reading ur post u make me feel old!,

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:25:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Thanks Karthik and Vatsan. The intention is certainly not to make everyone feel old, althouugh it is a part of the udnerstanding process. Hope that makes sense. :)

 
At Monday, July 18, 2005 9:06:00 AM, Blogger Harsh Chawla said...

I hear ya.. I'm turning 23 in a month.. it just doesn't have the same ring to it as 18 or 21 :(... Parents are not talking bout the marraige thing though.. I think I have atleast 2000 days before the whole wife/kids/responsibility thing happends:)

 
At Monday, July 18, 2005 10:28:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

LOL! Sathya. I guess gavee worries to a lot of people...

@Hash: Thaats six years? Marriagee at 29? Lucky you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home