Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Hurray! IIMs in news

If there is someone who's glad about IIMs making it to the newspaper headlines, it's going to be me. I'm kind of praying everytime I go to the temple for such a thing to happen. But then, it doesn't happen so frequently, probably because I'm not frequenting temples these days.

We all know the controversy last year involving the HRD ministry and the IIMs. The issue regarding providing aid to IIMs pretty much made it to the front page of all the newspapers repeatedly for a week or so, and lot of people started saying that that was the best publicity IIMs ever got. It was quite true since I myself spoke about my admission to one of my old relative who said "Oh, that college that comes in the paper?". Trust me, I was glad. And 'glad' is an understatement of the century. For once, one of my relative recognized my college.

Recognition of my college was always a trouble for me. The whole thing started from my Engineering college days. I got into Govt. College of Technology, which was arbitrarily rated - by students - as fourth in TN, letting aside IIT Chennai. Whenever I speak about my college, my relatives always ask me why I "didn't get a seat" in Anna University or PSG or CIT. It was a nightmare to tell them that I got a Mechanical Engg. seat in Anna, an Electrical seat in PSG but I wanted Electronics. And the other college was rated below. But my college, being an institution run by the Government, was simply not as famous as the private ones, for reasons we all know. Oh how I used to wish I got into a 'famous' college!

A similar thing started to haunt me again, after I got into IIM-I. I met a relatively young and well educated relative of mine who was working in a public company. I told him I'm going to IIM, which is at Indore. The word 'Indore' confused him a lot. After figuring that it was in some remote 'Hindi speaking' area called Madhya Pradesh, he asked me whether it was safe to study there. "Train journeys, language issues" were abound, he told me. Worst was when he asked me why I didn't get an MBA seat in famous local colleges - PSG or Amrita. I said I didn't apply. He said I must've tried, and that I would've got a seat since he remembers me as an intelligent student - judged by the fact that I got a centum in Maths in standard XII. I was in no mood to convince him that centum is Maths is no reason to call a person intelligent since a frigging 1000 people get it every year. The conversation didn't end there. It was a shocker for him when I told him I left my 'high paying' job in a famous 'multinational' 'software' company.

There are times - when I meet people from B-school circles etc - I really don't regret my decision. But there are more times when common people don't recognize my 'institution of excellence'. Not that it really matters, but still: Sigh! It's a different thing that publicity is bullshit and IITs and IIMs are the last institutions that need them, but, like a child, I sincerely wish they are 'somewhat famous' - atleast to the level at which my relatives don't look down upon me!

I was reminded of the whole thing when I came across this news item. Somewhere in the corner of my mind, I hope HRD ministry does some goof up or it takes some clownish decision, and that makes it to papers all around. It would be even better if it happens just before my vacation, since recall rate would be high ;-) [Ok guys, don't throw tantrums on me. I'm simply tired of being looked upon as a loser!]

16 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:04:00 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

Ha Ha Ha...

I have been through this.

I remember my relatives used to ask me, why are you going to Pilani. Didn't you get admission in Pune/Mumbai?

And I used to say, no I scored really less and they won't take me :-)

 
At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:18:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

LOL!

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeh.. very true.. it still feels good! ;)

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:27:00 AM, Blogger Jammy said...

hmmm. Do u think that opening more IIMs is gonna help?
I know that this is not what u wrote about, but just wanted an opinion.

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:10:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Nope. I hate that decision. I got a post coming on that.. :)

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

"matters to people who need to know about it [read it as prospective brides, father in laws, corporates)"

You think so? I care a damn abt the last ones u menton, but the first two is what is worrying me. :-))))

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bet. We need visibility and fast. I already came to know that my prospective mama doesnt know what an IIM is. :((

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:18:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

LOL! That IS sad!

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True.

I know my family doesn't have a clue as to what I'm doing here, but they're damn proud of me after people who know about IIMs have told them that I've reached God level in education. Though an educated friend in Delhi used to think I studied in IIM Pune... but that was cute :)

Chandoo... prospective mama... couldn't get you...

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Govar...how hv u been??....trust me ..it's always a pleasure to read ur blog...

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Amit: IIM Pune .. lol! Wait until IIM Shillong comes.

@Vijetha: Doing great.. CHill second year. And thanks. :)

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:40:00 PM, Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

mudal vatti i am hearing a student of IIM I wanting to be recognised. tot IIM brand was gud enuf. if ppl think ur a looser, think of the poor souls at IIPM or ICFAI!avangalemmal enna pannuvanga?

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:01:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Vatsan: To be honest, the brand is recognized where it matters a lot, but then, its also that a LOT of people arre unaware of it. And trust me, a people are starting to know abt IIPM. :)

 
At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 6:41:00 AM, Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

First time I am hearing that IIMs need more recognition. Any desi that I know of knows about IIMs/has someone known to him who has graduated or is currently studying at IIM. In fact, my grandmother might know more about IIMs than me (my mama-thatha's daughters graduated from IIMs). :-)

 
At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

@Gemini: Aaah, now that's something to cheer about. :)

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets Chill-out to Shill-long!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home