Thursday, July 14, 2005

Full kudos to Mani Rathnam

One of the best reasons to come to a B-school is to undergo the second year experience. Many, many of my seniors said "This would undoubtably be the best year of your life". With such a lot of reemphasis, I certainly didn’t doubt the statement, although I couldn't quite predict how the best year of my life would actually turn out to be.

The work load is half of what it was, and professors are looking at us like more matured people. In direct contrast to the first year, we've got one hell of a lot of time for doing anything we like. I spend most of the time visiting blogs, websites, watching movies, music, playing games etc. Anyway, cutting it short, thanks to second year, I got a chance to re-watch Kannathil Muthamittal [Rewatching is something I never used to do before]. I watched it in the first week of release in Coimbatore, and my first impressions then was that it was a great movie, but I didn't realize how great it was, probably because I was generally ignorant of movies.

After watching SO MANY movies here, many of which 'the best ever made' types, I'm beginning to really respect Mani Rathnam and his genius. Kannathil Muthamittal is one genius of a movie. Re-watching has made me look at it in an entirely new light. Every element of the movie is classic - story, picturization, music, characters, romance - everything. One of the parameters for me to say a movie is great is the gripping factor. Even Godfather didn't rivet me to that an extent. It was certainly good in all elements, but I was still kinda waiting for it to get over. [Don't take me on a ride for this. It's just my views.] Kannathil Muthamittal scores well there too. I wanted the movie to go on and on. Mani Rathnam is a genius. I can't remember a single movie with Simran in such an amazing homely and yet riveting role.

I know my appreciations are all out, but that's only because I'm writing this right after the movie and I believe this movie deserves everything. I'd personally rate is one of the best movies I've watched - in all languages.



Two things that are disappointing:

1) It wasn't a big commercial success. But then, not at all great movies are commercially successful, although I don't see why this one isn't.

2) Very less awards & recognition. 5 National awards and 6 Cinema express awards are ok-ok, but this one certainly deserves international attention - atleast for the true portrayal of the hard truths behind LTTE and SriLankan problems, which is anyway at the forefront of world attention.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:17:00 PM, Blogger ioiio said...

I think simran also did well though nandita ran away with all the honors..

The girl was just amazing.. "Vidai Kodu Engal Nadey" is ultimate and really touch u if u follow the lyrics :)

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:42:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Venkat: Thats true to a good extent, but this movie was also a bit unlucky that Mr and Mrs Iyer was made that year. It was a good movie, and since abt national integration, it got more mindshare with many.

@Shankar: True, it was a good performance by both, especially since Simran was not used to such a role beffore.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 1:46:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

AAh Spondy: Welcome to the comments domain. :)

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 1:16:00 PM, Blogger Jammy said...

"not at all great movies are commercially successful"
How do u classify movies as great? I presume that movies are made to please the audience and so they are great only if they are commercially successful.
And ofcourse, I liked KMI a lot, especially the music.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 1:38:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Ram: Just bcoz its successful with audience doesnt mean that the movie is great. It has been commercially successful. Rajni movies are great examples of success. Ofcourse some of them were really good. Classic cases of movies being great (according to me and other people I know who saw the movie plus website reviewws etc) but wasn't a big hit are this Parthiban's Azhagi etc. It ran in small theatres even in TN. The performance was so great that many in the audience moved to tears. But it didn't break any box-office record or anything. Thats the point.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 11:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Govar, couldn't agree less, I hv watched it myself in telugu..it was called Amrutha..the last scene was really gripping and would be in my memory for a long time..or shud i say...ever...

Can't help sharing it with though i think u cud hv guessed which scene am talking abt...the gal asks..can we never meet, can we (mom n us)never stay together...dad says...the day will come...when all this is gonna end..the gal with so many qstns but importantly with gr8 hope and anxiety asks when is it all gonna end..when???...jus felt as if every child affected was asking this qstn!!

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Vijetha: The scene is the same. My friend tolme its a dubbed version in telugu... so scenes are all the same. Yep, pretty moving in the end..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home