Monday, April 23, 2007

Have a Patel (photo) shot yet?

A friend of mine told me about 'Patel shot' yesterday.

What is a 'Patel shot' anyway? Doubletongued.org says this:
Patel shot n. a candid photograph with a person in the foreground and a place or object of interest (such as a tourist destination or landmark) in the background.
The phrase reeks of derision from the word go. All of us have posed before famous monuments, but I guess the phrase originated because we Indians tend to overdo it. You'd find it easy to catch an Indian taking a photo as s/he poses before something, but it does seem true that we take lesser number of person-less photographs compared to other races. Not that any of this is wrong; it's just that I didn't understand why Indians overdo in 'Patel shooting'. A random blog search might have the answer:
In India, with international travel booming in the IT industry which employs almost 40% of the eligible educated bachelors, 'Patel shots' are the in-thing for quite sometime now. I am not sure if it is by choice or chance, 90% of such IT world groom-to-be snaps that are exchanged happen to be shot abroad in a well known tourist spot!

It is not the same with the opposite sex though. Bride-to-be pictures are usually shot at home, studio with a plain background in ethnic wear. Women travel abroad too, but the pics in western outfits in tourist spots are not preferred.
Interesting. I guess the other reason is that we travel very less compared to, say, westerners, and hence visiting these places itself is an important event in our lives, and we make sure we record it for posterity.

6 Comments:

At Monday, April 23, 2007 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Atticus Finch said...

Oh, c'mon!!! Am sure we Indians don't shoot half as many as the Japs... You can see them clamouring all over the Wall-Street Bull or near the Statue of Liberty in funny poses :)

BTW, I use a Sony DSC-H2, bro... Pretty happy with it so far :)

 
At Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:44:00 AM, Blogger Govar said...

So thats an Asian effect. Still wondering abt the thought process that went behind the names. Do Patels overdo it among Indians??

 
At Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting term. Its probably because 'Patel' may be the most common surname among expat Indians.

I've seen such pictures many time from my 'abroad-returned' friends. Imagine someone standing in front of the Eiffel tower ...another Patel takes the picture... flash... the Eiffel tower is underexposed while we look up the illuminated nostrils of the first Patel.

This term gives me a way to be :evil: :snigger: with them, until I myself start taking such shots.

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 3:29:00 PM, Blogger Kavi said...

Very interesting ! Quite a connection isnt it !?! Well, i am going to laugh the next time there is a Patel shot. With me in the frame, with me behind the camera or me watching from a distance !

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 5:16:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

@Kavi: Yeah, one of those problems associated with reading all this. I'm already very conscious before cameras!

 
At Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:40:00 AM, Blogger Yadhvi said...

Hi,
Thanks on making a reference to my blog! I noticed it real late..btw, I agree with you... We do not holiday much. But when we do holiday, we wanna capture that moment with us in it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home