Sunday, May 06, 2007

Chennai is the second cleanest Indian city. Or is it?

When Metblogs Chennai posted the results of the AC Nielson ORG MARG Lifebuoy survey (Also in Business Line) that Chennai is the second cleanest Indian city, I fell off the chair. Well, almost.

Chandigarh emerged the clear winner with a score of 144 followed by Chennai and Kolkata with 118 and 108, respectively. Kolkata has scored high on greenery and plantation, clean roads and garbage disposal system. The only other cities to log above 100 points are Thirivananthapuram, Bhuvaneshwar and Lucknow.

The rest of the cities, including the national capital (Delhi) and Mumbai apart from Hyderabad, Dehradun, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Guwahati, Bhopal, Patna, Raipur and Ranchi had below par cleanliness scoring 99 to 76.

There's no surprise that Chandigarh tops the list. It is one of the two planned cities in the world, and I was very impressed by the city. I wouldn't have thought twice to settle down there if it had been down south - closer home, that is.

Everything else in the survey comes with a bit of surprise. Bangalore is rated 4, and in my two years of stay with the city, I thought it deserved better. But things seemed to have gone awefully wrong in the 3 years after I left - echoed by the Bangalore Buzz blog that hints that it is surprised to find Bangalore even at the fourth spot.

I haven't been to Kolkata, but was nevertheless surprised to see it in the number 3 spot. As far as I've heard - and I've heard this one thousand times - Kolkata is a filthy old place. That's number 3? Lucknow is rated 6. Again, I'm surprised a city in UP ranks 6.

Mumbai ranks 8, and Delhi stands at 9, which seems fair.

Either the survey is screwed up, or the following comment in Chennai Metblogs is true:
If Chennai is second in india then I can only see how much worse the other cities are..
It takes quite a bit to quickly realign your brain to think that you are living in one of the cleanest Indian cities. Right now, I'm reciting the line "I'm living in the second cleanest Indian city" a hundred times a day. I expect myself to get accustomed to this fact after thousand recitals.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, May 06, 2007 5:07:00 PM, Blogger Kavi said...

I read it here for the first time here ! And it is quite interesting.

I guess you need to repeat "I am living in the cleanest.." slogan quite a bit to internalise it !

I hope the news doesnt get out in the open and provide for complacence !

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belive it... but its just a relative rating....
On a reality scale i think none of the indian cities would be in top list....

But i was attending one workshop organised by Ramakrishna Mission ( Its in TNagar).. There i happened to hear views of some people who took initiatives in cleaning their surrouding.. so if we can being in another exnora in our surrounding ourself..
You need not chant that slogan ton times to belive it.. we can see it happening..

 
At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:31:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So you can imagine Mumbai now :-) ... waise, where was Indore? But to be very frank, I cant imagine Chennai being 2nd on the list! Esp. after the summers stint :-)

 
At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:54:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

yeah kida. Ditto here. But then I placed other cities in number 2 spot and felt the saame too. Whatever!

 
At Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don’t understand how an Indian can throw his/her garbage on the street just because there were no dustbins nearby, why can’t that person just carry a grocery bag and throw the garbage in there if he/she really cared about not making India a garbage/poop/pee dump.

Wish there were more commercials and bollywood movies that spread the message of not littering/promoting cleanliness in public places. This will definitely get the message across.

I could never get myself to throw garbage on the street/waterways, I love India too much to do something like that.

come on Shah Rukh take that responsibility and spread the word of “no littering” and making India clean-public bathrooms and public places in general.

I’ve seen Indians throwing garbage on their precious streets so many times as if they could care less that they are cause of the stench and India looking like a garbage dump.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home