Friday, September 07, 2007

Different people, Different thoughts

I think the HSBC ad rocks. I haven't felt this way about that ad for so long, but I now do.

Getting to the point - Chandoo and I had a great discussion almost 6 months back [and one of those truly fruitful and unforgettable ones, even for my notoriously painful memory] during one of the routine walks. The discussion centered on the importance of working hard, and whether there is a marginal benefit of working extra hard vs. working plain hard. To give an example, from economics, machines provide maximum utility when operating at 80% of their maximum speed. If you continuously push them more for a long period - say 95% of their max. speed, the wear and tear costs increases much more than the extra benefits accrued because of the 15% extra speed. [Which is also why cars make such a rattling and blowing off noise when you push towards the maximum speeds, and do great just a little below.]

The discussion between Chandoo and I centered on working hard vs. extra hard throughout your life time, and if the benefit that accrues going that extra mile justifies doing the extra bit. We were at a fix, and came close to the conclusion that working extra hard may not be as beneficial as one might think (or made to believe by the society, friends and family circles) because, in the long run (say when you reach retirement), the difference one could make working that extra mile would probably be owning an extra house in a metro suburb. And frankly, what difference does it make to you or your off-springs if you own 3 instead of 2 houses by working 'extra' hard as opposed to plain hard? Does it matter whether you end-up as a CxO or a Director in a company?

Coming to the point, my parents have always asked me to tone down on work - irrespective of whether I work 8 hours that day or 12 hours that day. I happened to receive the Employee of the quarter this time, and I frankly didn't know such a thing existed until I was called for it (which means I didn't put anything extra looking for this), but this has stirred up the discussion again in my home. While my close friends think it's great (and nobody knows how great it is), parents are too cautious and concerned to see the goodies. Ditto with some of the old family friends who have 'seen it all'. May be it's just different people, different thoughts... but what is the ideal thing to do? To just work hard, or work extra hard? Or should we wait for time to take its own time to provide the answer?

3 Comments:

At Saturday, September 15, 2007 6:17:00 PM, Blogger Jam said...

Dei Macha,

When I saw someone on the Tam Group mail chain put something about you becoming "Employee of the Quarter", I thought, as usual some leg-pulling was happening at your expense. But then, I visit your blog after quite some time and it finds a mention here as well.

First up, congrats dude, am sure you thoroughly deserve it. And knowing you Govar, you surely wouldn't have had an inkling about the existence of this award, much less work towards it. In any case, I honestly believe it is time that someone actually recognized you for your true worth.

Man, the above paragraph reeks of me being a huge fan of your work ethic, doesn't it? Well, truth be told Govar, I've always believed that you were one guy whose efforts somehow went unrecognized by the world at large, and when something like this happens, I can at least tell myself, "I always knew that Govar would go ahead and do something like this".

Long comment this, but anyways dude, keep up the good work and keep rocking !!!

Cheers........Jam

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

Jam: Wow. That was a long comment machan... Thanks! Needsay to say, anybody would feel good abt it. Multiple things going on in my mind now. let's see what's in store. Will catch up with you over phone...

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Govar said...

And then, what I didn't say was that such a thing is given to multiple folks in each vertical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home