Friday, November 24, 2006

Best of Fortune

Linux users wake up every morning to a Fortune quote, which, in earlier Unix versions, went by the name ‘Message of the Day’.

I used to love some of those quotes. It is a compendium of some of the most interesting ones ever penned down, and I used to invoke the program repeatedly even for hours at a stretch. It used to be such fun. I got a chance to revisit some of them and am noting down some quotes that are full of wisdom yet humorous.
"Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work" -- Robert Orben

"A good marriage would be between a blind wife and deaf husband." -- Michel de Montaigne

"Once I finally figured out all of life's answers, they changed the questions."

“To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.”

“Prizes are for children.” -- Charles Ives, upon being given, but refusing, the Pulitzer prize

"People will accept your idea much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first."

"Good health" is merely the slowest rate at which one can die.

"Real programmers drink too much coffee so that they will always seem tense and overworked."

"In Hollywood, all marriages are happy. It's trying to live together afterwards that causes the problems." -- Shelley Winters

"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. My advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." -- W. Somerset Maugham, his last words

"Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening. "-- Alexander Woollcott

"All true wisdom is found on T-shirts."

"All's well that ends."

"Ever notice that even the busiest people are never too busy to tell you just how busy they are?"

Gossip, n.: "Hearing something you like about someone you don't." -- Earl Wilson

Captain Penny's Law: "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you Can't Fool Mom."

A little sad that I no longer use Linux (that used to give a shot of wisdom every time I login) as my standard desktop, but I guess all good things have to end. You could continue relishing other Fortune quotes here.

And, as usual, the Men-Women set of quotes just rock!

1 Comments:

At Saturday, November 25, 2006 7:25:00 PM, Blogger VIZAG - Youth For Equality said...

true said man!! this stuph is really quite humorous...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home